Friday, January 29, 2010

Back in Addis…

Surprisingly, I slept through much of the music last night as I caught a break around 10 minutes until 11:00 pm when there was complete silence. I didn’t know if I was dreaming or not, until the music started back up 10 minutes later at midnight – SNAP, as my daughter Yordee would say (I think this is her way of really saying the “S word” without really coming out and saying it, although I will come clean with you and admit, I was really thinking the hard core “S word”).


I was up at 4:00 am to get ready for the flight back home. As I opened the bathroom door (remember, that smell I told you about yesterday?), it really got me going. Maybe there’s something to this putrid aroma as I was ready in no time flat.

We drove back to the orphanage to pick up the most beautiful little girl named Maria to take her back to Addis with us. We then made it to the airport only to have our flight postponed. I was told that because of the Ethiopian airline crash that crashed in Beirut the day before, that Ethiopian Air was being extremely cautious, thus the delay. We left about an hour and a half later and arrived in Addis driving straight to the office for the weekly staff meeting.

There were still families in town who were leaving that evening, so we met them for lunch at the Island Grill. No you may think I said “Island”, but I really said “Is-Land”. That’s right “is” before “land”. A friend of mine and I were trying to find this place a week ago and I realized I was saying the name all wrong, so no one knew what I was talking about. I had the best burger I have ever had in all of my entire visits to Ethiopia. This was not the meatloaf burgers that Ethiopians like to serve, it was a double decker, with a soft bun (another non-trademark of an Ethiopian burger), with BBQ sauce, bacon and jalapenos. I could tell you more, but I now realize this does not have the significance to you as it does me so let’s move on.

I left there for a meeting with Aschalew (Addis Director of Kidmia) @ 2:00, Pastor Tsadiku (a converted Muslim extremist) @ 3:00; Zahara (one of Gladney’s incredible social worker) @ 4:00, go with Belay to see Trhas (another one of Gladney’s incredible social workers who just had little Lidete) around 5:30, then to meet the Cook Children’s medical team for pizza. They have been so busy while they have been here that I really haven’t gotten to spend much time with them. Melanie Tam, wife of Dr. Vincent Tam, will be going to Gunchire with me tomorrow morning so that is 7 hours on the road that she and I can visit.

More to come…

Scott

1 comment:

Mark and Heidi said...

I am loving these posts, Scott! You had me laughing out loud about the burger and the band in your last post. Keep 'em coming!