Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Adventure in Ethiopia

I am feeling much better, but still stayed in bed until 9:00. Joanna was on her way to church so she decided to leave a little early and I would drive us to the guesthouse where several of our families are staying. I decided to drive and before I pulled out of the drive, Travis told me to watch out for the corner of the raised porch. While pulling out, you have to get as close to the porch as possible making a very sharp turn after you pass it to get the vehicle out. I did this and was very focused on not hitting the porch, but Travis did not mention the out building behind the house so I backed right into it. Fortunately, there was no damage other than a small mark on the building and one on the bumper.


I got to the guesthouse and then we left to meet Belay, three of the caregivers and about 15 of the older kids from our foster care at Bongo’s. This is an arcade with several rides and games in the Edna Mall. I was so surprised to see how well behaved the kids were and how well they care for each other. The kids had a great time and “bought” watches, pencils, bracelets and other items with the tickets they won. Afterward, Belay bought the kids ice cream cones. It was a Kodak moment to be sure.

I then went with Eric and Susan to visit Kolfe Boy’s Orphanage. I called John, one of the young men from the orphanage, to make sure he would be there. We arrived and went immediately to the dirt field to see the boys play football (our soccer). We toured the orphanage and got to talk with many of the boys as they practiced their English. As we were leaving, one of the boys had his finger in the door as it closed. The only way we knew it was in the door was seeing the finger inside the car. He didn’t scream, flinch, grimace – nothing. We tried to get Beki, our driver, to ask him to let us take him to the hospital because it had broken the skin at the nail, and he replied, “they are our guests, why would I make them do that?” Susan and Eric went to the pharmacy to get antiseptic and band-aids and they'll meet back up with Anbes tomorrow to make sure he is fine.

Off to Gondor tomorrow, wake up call at 3:00 am so off to bed.

Scott

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Scott, you're having way too much fun and need to come home. :)

Pam said...

Glad you are feeling better. Can't wait to hear about your trip to Gondor. That's where our dear Joseph (who was 1 yesterday) was born. Safe travel!

Jennifer said...

I adore your blogs. I can just picture you telling these stories. I’m so sorry you got food poisoning. Horrible- but I’m glad you're feeling better.

Renee said...

Scott- glad to hear you're feeling better! Reading your blog posts makes me feel like I'm back in Addis again. I had some good laughs at Travis's expense- thanks for the stories! Please give my love to the team, they are such an amazing group of people and we've been so blessed to get to know them over the past two years. Safe travels!